Thursday, January 3, 2013

Let's Get Started

"I run with purpose in every step.  I am not just shadowboxing, I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should." I Cor. 9:26

Tonight is our first training session!!! Whew! Whoo!  This is the hardest part.....starting.  I remember back in summer of 2007 when I decided to try the RUNNING THING.  I was a power walker with kids in a stroller before then, but it was getting harder to get the walking workouts in with three babies under 6 years old.  So I decided I would cut my walking time in half and start running.  My goal was to just learn to run 2 miles without stopping.

I was 182PLUS pounds.

I got on the track.  And for a moment I thought-- "this shouldn't be so hard?"

I was a pretty good runner high school.  Two miles was nothing back then.  So mentally, I thought a slow 2 laps (half mile) would be doable if I just went really slow.

Well, half way through my first lap, I realized I was far from my goal.  Reality set in as I slowly and almost unsuccessfully completed just ONE LAP.  It was the longest lap of my life.  I wanted to cry. Actually, I might have cried?  I had SOOOO FAR to go.  But at that moment I had two choices; QUIT or KEEP GOING but just go a little slower.

 I think I managed to only run/walk a mile that day.  But I was back every day after that.  I never went farther than my body was ready for.....and to my surprise I was running 2 miles before the month was over.  It was a slow 2 miles, but it was two miles.  It's doable, girls!!!

WORKOUT
Tonight I am hoping we will start you out with your first mile, as well.  I don't care if you can only jog 100m at at time, but 1600 meter jog is your goal for tonight.  You can do as much walking as you want or need in between each jog.

For those who have been running....we will adjust your workout accordingly once I meet with you.

** I will post your weekend workout once I evaluate the group tonight!!



No comments: