Saturday, August 3, 2013

First Time Max

This morning, I walked into CrossFit (AT THE BOX) and was told that we needed to have 5 Max Reps done before the day was done.  The thing is, I haven't been at the Box in a full week due to Camp KIDJAM, therefor I didn't have any reps done. :-(

I haven't even done a MAX REP since starting CrossFit---probably haven't maxed out since college basketball training.  So needless to say, I didn't actually WOD today---instead, I worked with one of my coaches to knock out three MAX Reps.

At first I will admit I was a little frustrated because everytime I do a squat exercise, I am told that my form is wrong.  I KNOW it's wrong, but for years I have always thought it was my hips.  So with lots of work, I managed to finally get my FRONT MAX done.  I maxed out at 155lbs but I know I could have done more, because I did 155 twice in row and it wasn't at all a problem.  But the frustration came in when the coaches wouldn't let me keep adding weights because of my tight hips.  GRR!  But 155lb wasn't a bad squat, at least so they told me.  But I KNEW I could do more.

I moved on to the next exercise....  The next exercise was the strict press.  And my coach was floored when I was able to strict press 100lbs.  I even made 2nd on the leader board!! WHEW WHOO!!!!  I had no idea that was good!!! So at this point, I was happy to have been able to do something well and CORRECT!

The last exercise was ANOTHER SQUAT!!! I knew I was about to hear more about my hips....so I was mentally trying to prepare.  I got started.....and just a few reps in, my coached made some adjustments with my form and then asked me to take off my shoes.  ???? WEIRD, but ok!!!  So I took off my shoes. 

O MY GOODNESS!! What a difference that made.  Suddenly I was able to squat correctly and with more depth and it FELT so much more comfortable.  I ended up MAXing out at 155lbs on this exercise too.  Apparently my shoes have too much heal and arch and was throwing me off.  So from now on---or at least until I get crossfit shoes---I am to do max reps without shoes! :-).  **Don't get my wrong, I still have super tight hips but what an improvement!

Like I said before, I have no idea what is good, great, decent, or bad when it come to all this.  I am a newbie!  But, I was so happy to leave there because I could tell my coaches were pleased and impressed with my numbers.  This makes me HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY!

This really made my day! Feeling Strong and Confident again!


I am feeling encouraged and excited and even more focused on my diet now that my husband is on board with eating clean! 


No comments: