Thursday, April 25, 2013

Getting Anxious and Antsy Legs

It has been so hard not to take off for a long run this week!  My legs are itching for a long run:-)>  But I am saving it for the Race Day!!!

It's almost here!!!  And tonight, we have our final training session (which everyone is invited too).  I am excited but also sad that it's almost here:-).  We have worked so hard.  We have grown quite close.  We have shared a lot in the past few months.  We have prayed a lot. And, we have some mighty sexy legs to show for it:-). HAHA!

So a few things we will go over tonight....
1) Final Training (jog, walk, stretch, fellowship and pray) at 5:30pm at the track.
2) Please be sure to PRINT your EMAIL CONFIRMATION and bring with you to the Expo to pick up your bag with your race bib, timers, and goodies!
3) We have two departure times...and tonight we'd like to know which departure time you prefer? Morgan has a early crew leaving around 9am.  Mandy has a crew leaving around noon or shortly after.
4) Don't forget to check the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon weblink for some cool details.  One really cool option is to have love ones receive messages about where you are in your race and how you are doing.  Also, there is an APP you can download, too, that will track you.  My husband will be using this Sunday to map us out---while he is in church:-). LOL!!
Also, check out the course and such.  It's always good to get an idea of what to expect!
5) Get those ipods and iphones ready!! Update your favorite music and such.  I always start off with some really slow and old country music so I can make myself settle down and start with an easy pace...rather than get competitive and try to out run everyone at the starting line!  (If you know me, you know that I am serious about that! I can get very competetive!  Ronnie Millsap will slow me down, tho!)


WHAT TO BRING: (This is straight from my personal list)
-shoes and I bring two pairs to be on the safe side
-socks and I bring a few pairs (just in case it rains or something)
-Email Confirmation
-iphone/ipod
-ear phones
-body glide
-ponytail and head band
-running capris and running shorts
-cotton panties (cos I'd be nervous inside---lol)
-bathroom necessities
-running watch
-comfy flip flops for ride home
-clothing
-light jacket
-sunscreen
-chapstick
-GU or Energy Supplements for half and full marathoners
-extra money (we would like to eat an after meal together on the way home since we are coming into two different groups on the way there---and we will most likely be very hungry by then)
-I will bring a little medical kit too.
-favorite snacks or pre-run meal (protein/energy bars or such).  We will have the typical fruit and PBJ sandwich stuff.

For most of yall, this may be a first time race.  And if so, my suggestion is to not worry about anything.  Go with the flow.  Don't worry about the details.  Show up, run, and take in the every part of the first time experience.  Don't worry about time, pace, or any of that stuff.  Take in the crowd. Take in the run.  Take in the other runners.  Enjoy OKCity scenery.  I saw on the marathon website this quote....and I loved it, "The Memorial Marathon is not about running, it is about life."

No comments: