Saturday, February 23, 2013

Alone

Tonight I rushed over to the track.....literally running over from my house, in a complete panic.  I had about three extra 9yr olds in my yard waiting for my husband to arrive home to take them to baseball practice (he was also running late from work to get home to them, too).  I had a friend pulling into my driveway to take my 11 yr old to practice and my oldest daughter was left home to watch these 9yr old boys and work on a school project.  I was running late to workout.....or at least I "thought" I was.  I arrived at the track at 5:10 or so....and no one from our running group was there.   Then it dawned on me, I was early!! HAHA!  Group training wasn't scheduled till 5:30, even though I was thinking it was 5pm the whole time!

So I ran about a mile and a half....a few 800s. And waited.  Then 5:30 came, 5:30 went. I ran and waited.  Then 5:45 came, and 5:45 went. I ran and I waited.....  I realized in that moment I was running alone.  I admit, I was a bit frustrated and disappointed and even sad.  I felt like a failure.  Here I am with my first running group....we started out strong (very strong).  But within six weeks we had dwindled down to just me tonight.  I even grabbed my belongings and started walking off the track back towards my house....when I stopped, being confused, and reconsidering the thought of walking home. 

I don't know what stopped me from walking off, as I really had a ton of stuff to do and a house full of chaos that I am sure needed me.  But, I stopped and turned back around.....I got back on the track and I began to run a little more....and prayed.  The frustration and sadness was gone. And again, I am reminded of what a blessing it is that I can run!  The thought of one foot in front of another for miles and miles, without injury, without pain, is just amazing to me! 

Yes, I love sharing that passion with my running friends (especially if they are new to running and don't think they can do this type or exercise).  But, at the end of the day, or month, or come April 28th on "Race Day" it all will boil down to WHAT I DID to prepare me for my race. ** For me, 26.2miles is a very long way to run.....it is a long way to run on one's own strength and energy.  I will need to involve God in each and every step cos that's the only way it will be possible. 

I now realize that my chaotic life had distracted me from remembering this.  But tonight, as I ran on that track, I was reminded.... I am NEVER ALONE!

Thank God for that:-).

"My steps have stayed on your path;
 I have not wavered from following you" 
                                           Psalm 17:5

No comments: