Saturday, December 28, 2013

Communication is the Key

Communication is the Key!!!  My EPIC FAIL of Communicating Got Me a Bad HairDo!!!!

So here is my most recent drama....  I have been needing a haircut for the past couple of weeks but kept putting it off or just didn't have time.  But this past week at CrossFit, I was getting irritated with the thickness and puffyness of my hair.  Then on Friday, this picture was taken at the Box.....
I am top right!!
Yap, I got desperate quick.  I called a local friend of mine to give me a quick cut.  When I sat down in her chair she asked me what I wanted.  I simply said "just want it shorter".  But I didn't mean I wanted a shorter style.... I just wanted to trim up what I already had.  I even showed her two pics of the last time she cut it.  (Yes, she had cut my hair the time before--so I didn't think twice about it).

Lots of casual chatting went on for awhile while she was cutting my hair.  And then it dawned me....she was still cutting even after several minutes.  I had noticed there was more hair in my lap than I had expected....but I hadn't seen it in the mirror just yet cos she had me turned in the opposite direction.  I was getting nervous, but shame on me, cos I didn't say anything.  She finally turned me around where I could get a glimpse and I thought I was going to cry right then and there. I don't think I heard anything else she said the remainder of the time, as I was in complete shock.  I was expecting what I showed her with these top two pics....but ended with the bottom three pics.  I won't lie, I came home and cried to my husband and my three kids! :-(


One reason I hate this haircut is because it isn't my personality.  I feel like the cut/style I had before was right on. 

But the honest reason I HATE this cut is because it immediately makes me feel FAT.  And I know exactly why.  I had this cut before......almost 10years ago.  I WAS FAT then!  I WAS TIRED! I WAS HUNGRY! I WAS NOT MANDY!!! This cut immediately takes me back to this time.  The cut brings back all these emotions and insecurities I had back then.  DISLIKE!!!
Post Gabe Pregnancy--GROSS!


I know it's just hair and it will grow back.  But I am just so upset at myself...for so many reasons.....
1) Why did I let that first picture put me into a FREAK OUT MODE of I have to fix the HAIR NOW!!! I should have never gone to go get my hair cut to start with----especially over one lousy pic or bad hair day!
2) Why didn't I tell the hair dresser EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED?  Looking back I see now that when I said shorter, she thought I meant shorter style.  I should have said...same style just trim it! UGH!  This is so my fault!!!
3) Why am I letting my bad haircut change my self-image and self confidence?  I am not that FAT MOM in that picture anymore!  I am a "fit mom" making progress everyday!  It's just hair! It could be worse!

Anyhow.  I am still struggling with this haircut.  I avoid the mirror and have been having a hard time smiling the last couple of days, cos I am so upset about it!  But I am thankful I can leave town for a week and perhaps get used to the new hairdo.  Who knows, maybe I will accidentally start liking it??? *Doubt that though:-(

No comments: