Monday, October 14, 2013

Local Charity Competition-CrossFit

This past weekend.... I step a little bit out of my comfort zone and did my first CrossFit Competition.  I admit, I was a bit intimidated about it all.  It wasn't a big competition.  But it was something I have NEVER thought I would actually do.  **But it was for a great cause, so WHY NOT, give it a try?

My crossfit family had a charity competition to raise money for a Sherman local woman who is fighting breast cancer.  In the years past, they have raised money and donated to the breast cancer foundation...but this year was the first time they had raised money for someone from the community.  It was really amazing to see everyone come out. It made the whole event more personable, too!

As for myself---I was a bit nervous......WHY
1) The coaches were bouncing my name back and forth for a couple of week on the white board to figure out which category to put me in.  Since I am fairly new at crossfit with the barbell....the scaled division is what most people start with.  But in the past few weeks, I have been doing some max reps with them and I have since found out that I am stronger than I ever thought I was---or for that matter, stronger than they thought I was too. 
2) But I lack the proper form and technique.  I can apparently lift a crazy amount of weight over my head.....but I don't do it pretty or correct! LOL! 
3) And of course, doing a WOD in front of everyone----mind you, while they are yelling CRAZY at you and for you.....is super intimidating! YIKES

Now grant you, this was not a REAL COMPETITION.  It was just a one WOD competition.  And the WOD choices were:
OTB scaled--- in 7mins, run a 300m and do as many ground to overhead with the kettlebell-18lbs 
OTB----in 7mins, run a 600m and do as many rounds as ground to overhead with kettlebell 35lbs
CrossFit Scaled--for time---30reps of clean and jerks with 75lbs or less
CrossFit--for time---30reps of clean and jerks with 95lbs

I ended up doing the 30 reps with 95lbs.  I did it in 7mins....but I know I could have been much faster IF I wouldn't had stopped to listen to what coaches were telling me on correcting my form (which wasn't terrible form---just not as effective and fast for me) and IF I was actually using the proper "cleaning" technique.  It took me right at 7mins to do 30 reps.  I would like to cut this in half and I know I can when I get the proper form down. 
LOOK AT THAT FACE!!! I had NO IDEA!! LOL

I guess I think this is funny??

My faces crack me up! 

I admit---the weight wasn't all that hard for me---which is what alot of people struggle with.  I just struggle on the proper cleaning.  Apparently I use ALL arms to pull that barbell from the ground to overhead...which means I am wasting alot of unnecessary energy.  I need to be using my hips to clean--not my arms! I did much better on that today at workout class! I will get there!

****But one thing I enjoyed the most from this charity competition was judging the other competitors.  It was so fun to count reps and cheer on other CrossFit Solus friends.  I was able to cheer on people I attend class with.  I was able to judge and cheer on my former OTB CrossFit Coach.  And I was able to meet new CrossFit family that I had only known through facebook interaction.  It was so fun!!!  And very encouraging!

All in all, I am glad my first competition started here with my CrossFit family.  It was a blast and I learned a great deal. 

**But now, I have to get prepared for my first REAL COMPETITION which is less than a month away.  I'll be updating my blog with alot of my anxieties and workouts to prepare for this, in the next few weeks!

I THINK I CAN!  I THINK I CAN! I THINK I CAN!



No comments: