Monday, October 7, 2013

A Week in Runner's Heaven- Part 2

****Part 2 of our Washington DC trip.....  To see part one---CLICK HERE

We left off at DC....in our majestic SUITE!!! :-)

Todd had a busy couple of days after that. So I was able to do some research and find yet more running/biking trials. One day I ran 9miles, the next day I ran 4miles both along the Potomac River and over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Because I had to accompany Todd for a few engagements these days, I couldn't be gone too long.
From Oxon Hill-Over Woodrow Wilson Bridge-to Mt Vernon Trial

However, Todd did have ONE very full day. I took this day to do a big run... I ran from the Gaylord into DC, which was a 14plus mile run. But I took my sweet time. Stopping and seeing sites along the way and enjoying it all. Once I made it to DC, I spent the next couple of hours seeing the landmarks during the daytime and also trying to find a bathroom that wasn't closed--like the government:-). Ha! Todd met me that evening and we had dinner and visited the Capitol, as we missed that landmark the first time!
My Trail----14miles into DC with another 4miles of walking the DC mall area!


Look!  I am holding the Washington Monument in my hands!


Our last day couldn't have been more perfect. Todd was off for the whole day...so this was a day intended just for us. So we took a taxi into Old Alexandria. We rented two bikes and we biked 10miles down the Mt Vernon Trail to George Washington's Estate. The bike ride was awesome! Very scenic! Fall leaves falling all around us (a few acorns to our heads-ha) and winding around the Potomac River. Once we arrived we spend several hours touring the estate....which was super cool!! We saw and toured Washington's house, farm, and his tomb.  We also visited the museum there. We had a nice small lunch there, too. We rode our bikes back into to town. Yes, that's a 20mile bike ride altogether:-). I am super proud of my hubby for wanting to do that and for also doing it! He didn't struggle at all biking that far (only a few hills got him--but that's it!).
Mt Vernon Bike Trail --George Washington's Estate
Biker Mandy!!

Once we made it back to Old Alexandria town, we had a delicious dinner on the porch of Fish Market looking over the old streets of this old town.  Lobster, calamari, shrimp and local beer!! Yummy!! We took our time eating and people watching.  We finished our night with a short walk along the historical streets and down to the harbor where we took a fairy back to the Gaylord.
Almost a "clean" meal! :-).


We had an amazing day and evening!! This was definitely a date that tops my list!!!

All in all this trip was NOTHING like I had anticipated! With the weather being absolutely PERFECT with plenty to see and do, not to mention all the running trials...and of course time with Todd, this trip was definitely a favorite!!!
Me and my love:-).


I am so blessed! And ever so thankful!!

No comments: