Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Group Training Anyone?

Several of yall have mentioned that you'd like to still do some group training and maybe some more runs in the near future!  And you know me, I am always down for a good run and even some races. However, summertime is here.  It's only going to get more humid and unbearably HOT....which will make running more challenging.

I have spoken to many of yall and we have had some great suggestions.  Take a look and see if there are any you are interested in doing.  Text me, email, or comment what you'd like to do and I can make it happen for us.............

Option 1-Meet once a week (probably early morning run since it is so hot)
Option 2-Schedule some group runs away.  Ex: Lake Trails, White Rock Lake, and other run friendly parks. We could do this every other weekend, every third weekend, or even once a month??
Option 3-  Sign up for a half marathon for the summer. But do it TOGETHER! Meaning we can run and walk the thing as one team:-). I have found two.  One is at the end of June called The Jalapeno Half  and the other is The Hottest Half (in August).  You can click on each Race Title and get the details.
Option 4- Sign up for some shorter events just to keep us trucking along:-).
Option 5- To do a couple of the options together:-).

I am willing to do any of these.  Yall just name it.

Another big question I got from yall was.....how much should you run to maintain.  For those who are wanting to run a half marathon in the near future, the best way I can answer this is to be able to run a 6mile run at just about anytime.  If you can maintain the ability to run a six miler, then making the jump to a half marathon is pretty easy to do from that range. 

For myself.... I am gonna make sure I run at least 3 times a week but am ideally wanting to run 4 times a week.  One run will be a longer run (7-8miles), one run will be mid run (5-6miles), and then an short run (3-4miles).  Every two to three weeks I will run over 8 miles--preferably in the double digits....but on that week, I will also make my other runs both shorter runs.

For those who ran shorter distances....my advice is to keep moving and get your runs in as often as you can.  Use my own routine and plug in you own doable distances (one longer run, one mid run, one short run).

This hot weather will make it a bit more difficult.  Your water intake must be upped and done days before you run.  You will most likely need more walking breaks (and that is totally fine), and you will sweat like a crazy person!! Speaking of sweat, if you haven't bought BodyGlide....you'll want to now to avoid the chaffing in those sweaty areas!

I am excited to hear that several of yall want to keep running! I look forward to our runs together very soon:-).



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up and the rest of the site is very good.


Stop by my page: lean muscle diet