Saturday, March 16, 2013

16 Miler ReCap

So I was unable to run my 15miler last week due to being sick and nasty weather....so this week I had a FIRST!!!  I ran 16miles straight!  And what I have learned with these longer runs is it takes a whole lot of time----meaning whole lot of preparing: mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually and even some strategy.

I had been mentally and spiritually thinking about this run, along with my upcoming 18miler and 20plus miler!  I have never ran this far before and have been really focusing on BELIEVING in myself!  And also thanking God in every single step He gives me!!! What a blessing each step has been and continues to be!

Physically, I haven't trained this hard in a long time!  I am crossfitting at least twice a week and I am getting lots of good runs in! I feel great!  And, it's not only that I am training hard! I have learned to eat right too!!  I am eating more than I ever have.....but it's of the RIGHT STUFF, that my body NEEDS to compete at this level!  I am eating 5 proteins a day, at least 5 veggies, 3 fruits, and only 1 grain a day.  And it is working!!!  I am down 15lbs and 7.50 inches!! HECK YA!  And I am back into my size 8s again (shorts, too).  YES!!! 

Ok---so back to the 16miler.  This is the strategy part!!!  First, I am happy to report that I contacted a few friends that had houses along my mapped out area and asked if I could use their mailboxes or ditches to leave water bottles out.  This was very helpful and since I preplanned it, I knew where each water 'break" was and used these stations as little goals along my long run!!!  Here are a few pics.....

Preston Road (mile 1 and 2)

Mile 3 at Mackey Rd---and still smiling

Water stop---and my favorite old barn!!

Water Station Set Up at a friend's in Hidden Lakes--about mile 6
It was a perfect day to run!!!  I took off about noon and got home right past 3:00.  Three hours wasn't so bad when you included my water breaks.....and a potty break!! 

Speaking of potty break.  That is the ONE thing I did not plan out.  So about mile 9, I was needing a bathroom.  Therefor, I had to detour back to my house for a potty break....and for a quick tangerine bite!! HA!!  That was about mile 11.....then I had to get back out to finish my run!!! 
Hills!!! But so pretty!!! Mile 8

Stretching and cool shadow----you get a little bored on a 3hr run!! HA!

After my potty break and taking back off again!! LOL


The point I got TIRED!!! Right at mile 14. Just two miles left!!

I was getting a bit tired right at mile 14.....I think cos it was getting really warm!  I felt sunburned!  And mentally, I don't like to run kerfoot several times in one day!!! And today, I did!!! YUCK!!
But I managed to get 16miles ran in 2:34 (running pace only)....and right at 3hr if you include walking, water and potty break!!!    I did it! And it wasn't too bad at all! 

SUNBURN 
But next time, I will put sunblock on!! HA!!! I have a nice capri tan line right now!!!  :-)

No comments: