Monday, June 23, 2014

CrossFit Solus Competition

This past weekend was one of the funnest weekends I have had as an adult athlete!  I didn't break any crossfit records.  I didn't win any awards.  And I sure didn't look pretty doing 4 WODs:-). However, this past weekend I felt like part of the Solus Family....meeting other members, getting to know other coaches that I don't usually intern with, and just being ourselves with one another!!! GOOD STUFF!!

This past weekend my crossfit box, CrossFit Solus, put on their very first competition.  It was a partner competition and we had a very good turnout (especially considering it was our first one).  We had over 300 competitors!! The atmosphere was great! And Solus did an amazing job prepping and running the schedule.

For me, I simply enjoyed getting to know all the members and coaches much better.  Not only did we compete together (which is always fun) but we spent much time prepping and setting up together, judging other awesome athletes together, and cleaning up together.  **There is something about that "togetherness" that brings people closer!!! :-).

It was an amazing event! And a huge success all the way around!

As for my competition experience....like I said, my partner and I didn't win any top awards or break any earth shattering records, but we had fun competing and we complimented each other very well. The only thing I can complain about is our first WOD's judge.  Our judge was not counting our double unders correctly AT ALL.  And this truly started us out behind.  What was frustrating was I was on a double under row!!! I never once got tangled in my jumprope.  I was able to do 30-40 at a time before needing a quick rest....but I think my judge's counter/clicker wasn't keeping up with me.  Cos when I would count in my head...he would always come up with a completely different number (and several off).  So that was extremely frustrating to say the least. At first I thought it was just my adrenaline making MY count off but then my partner and her husband started counting too and said the judge was WAY OFF.  UGH!

The hardest part of competition was getting in 4 WODS in less than 2.5hours.  In matter of fact....our last 3 WODs were done within ONE HOUR!  Talk about having some very tired arms! WOWZERS.  Push Pressing, Pullups, and Clean and Jerks!!!
Donna and I (pull-ups, KB run, clean&jerks)
My favorite part was the clean and jerk ladder.  The ladder started at 55#s and worked up to 125# by increments of 10# (ex: 55#, 65#, 75# etc..).  You had 50 seconds at each barbell station and you had to do as many reps as possible **with only 10sec transition between each station. You could not advance to the next heavier weight IF you or your partner couldn't complete the lift within the 50sec. 

Because I can lift more than Donna, our strategy was to have her start at 55# and to crank as many reps as possible at the lower weights---to help save my energy for the heavier weights.  This seemed to workout great.  She cranked out 14reps in 50secs at 55#, I cranked out 14 reps at 65#, then as we climbed the ladder she would do as many as should could and I would jump in a finish the round when she got tired.  At 95#, she was only able to do one or two reps, so this is where I picked up the slack. **And this is where it got to be so fun for me!  You see, as you progress up the ladder, the weight gets heavier but you'r ealso getting more tired from the previous reps.  And seldom do many actually complete the ladder.  So as your advance towards the end, the crowd gets louder and each rep gets harder and more tasking.  I am happy to report I was able to crank out several reps at 95, 105, and 115.  And yes, I complete the last ladder at 125#--three times!!! BOOM!!!  This made my day!!! 
**My max clean and jerk is 135.  My max jerk (from the rack) is 155.  But to still do 125 a few times after several previous reps at lower weights is still an accomplishment!!
Ignore the strong woman face! YIKES! LOL
There is nothing like having a crowd of people (strangers, fellow competitors, or friends) cheering you on.  This is what makes crossfit so fun!  Everyone is so supportive of each other!  :-).  It's a different competitive experience than any other!!


Now for a some BLOOPERS!!!  Of course, I had to be the one involved in it and my husband just happen to snap this picture to capture the moment! LOL.

This pic below is the WOD in which partner one (me) ran a 300 with a 26#KB while partner 2 (Donna) did 30pushups.  Once we got done, we had to crank out as many pull-ups as we could.  This pic is of an accident with me and another girl.  As we took off from our marked boxes inside, she decided to cut right in front of me---and right when we were both exiting the building.  As you can see, I have no where to go because I am right by the doorway.  Her foot gets tangled with mine and she went down HARD!!!  It was scary at first, cos I was so afraid that I was either 1)gonna step on her  OR 2)fall with my KB on her.  Luckily, she jumped up quickly and finished the WOD.  Funny thing is.....even though we started out in the back of the pack due to the collision, we finished first and second in the run!!! LOL!  
Zoom in on my facial expression!! HA
My facial expression in the pic is priceless...and now looking back, we can't help but to laugh about it!!!  FYI---the girl was bruised up but she was fine!!!  THANK GOODNESS!!

It was a great day!!! Great weekend! And my body is super sore even two days later!!!  But I am happy to be back at it and look forward to many more competitions ahead!!! ***Next competition I am going RX!!! YIKES!!!






No comments: