Friday, June 27, 2014

Blind Competition Date (and feeling a little nervous)

Second Thoughts Now!!  Yes. Perhaps. Maybe?  Nervous---YES!!!

This past week I got a call from another local crossfit gym to see if I would be interested in subbing in for an injured girl for this weekend's North Texas ThrowDown Team CrossFit Competition.  The owner of this gym was actually looking for an RX competitor and a strong scaled girl competitor.  I agreed to "consider" doing the scaled....but that was because I wanted to get the facts about who I was competing with and what the competition required movements were.

After spending an evening "investigating" the individuals whom I may be teaming with (wanted to make sure I wasn't working with creepers) I was feeling a bit more comfortable with agreeing to compete.  It ends up that these teammates are friends with lots of my friends (aka mutual friends).   Four of us (two girls, two guys) will compete against other team this Saturday. **This will be my first "team competition".

WHY am I nervous!?!  Two good reasons:
1) Apparently this team is pretty good.  The males on the team seem very alpha type males (and made the finals in the Europa competition) and the other girl is supposed to be pretty good on the gymnastics type exercises (pull-ups, toes to bars and such). This is her first competition though..... I am apparently the strong girl?!?!  I just pray I am strong enough. * I pray I am not the weak link on this team! * I pray I am actually a good addition to the team.
2) It's a BLIND DATE (sort of).  I have never met these people....nor worked out with them.  They are trusting that I am good enough.  What if I am NOT!?!?

PRESSURE!!! HA!!

The first WOD is gonna be a booger. 10-8-6-4-2 or EVERY TEAM MEMBER doing 10 Power Snatches and then 10 pull-ups, then move on to 8 Power Snatches, 8 pull-ups...and so on!!!  The Power Snatches are done with 75# for the girls.  I am really wanting to go unbroken, but just not sure I can with 75#.  I can with 65# all day long....so we will see?

The second WOD isn't that bad.  Double Unders and KBell Swings. 10-20-30, etc until 7mins is up.  I think I will be the KB Swinger while she does double unders.  Either way, I will be fine on those.

ONLY IF YOU ADVANCE will you get to do the third WOD---which is 21-15-9 of 24in box jumps, toes to bar and deadliest at 155#.  I only worry about the toes to bar here. I can do them but my kipping or my cycling in between each rep is slower than I would like it to be.

So I am a bit nervous!! I may be in over my head!  I find it an honor to be called to compete for another box but I also hope I don't disappoint them.  Of course, I will fill y'all in next week on how it went!!

Say a little prayer for me!!! :-).

No comments: