Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Competitive Self----Gets a Reality Check

I have got to tell yall about my WOD today!  It was the dreaded BADGER WOD.....
which is a pretty dang hard workout.  It consist of THREE ROUNDS of
30 Squat Cleans at 65lbs
30 Pull Ups
800m run
Don't forget that this is for THREE ROUNDS.  It's kind of a gaser....but gaser WODs are good for me cos I have alot of endurance.  When everyone else is dying half way through, I am just started to pass everyone up!

Anyhow....the frustrating part is that I am soo close to being able to do kipping pullups.  I actually can do about two on my own, but that's about it.  But I can do strict pull ups and kipping pullups with a band-NO PROBLEM.

Last week when working on kipping pull ups (with the band)---two of my coaches were praising me on my form and really encouraging me on how I will be flying through pullups in no time.

So today, as I was warming up my pullups (using the least restricted band possible)....another one of my coaches came over to assist me and give me some advice.  Apparently I am doing double the work because I am pulling up correct but coming down I am doing a negative (meaning working against gravity to bring my body in to down position slowly---rather coming down somewhat naturally).  ***That's the best I can explain that! LOL! Anyhow, she had then had me do jumping pullups to help me get out of this bad habit....but the bad news for me is she also insisted that I do these type pullups during the WOD.

TWO PROBLEMS with this.....
1) Jumping pull ups were much too easy for me.  I am not even kidding when I really thought I should do double of each set.
2) My time would not qualify me for the WODKILLER board!!! GRR!!!

So I was so ticked during my WOD....just thinking that it was a waste of my time because it didn't count.  ***NOW! NOW!!!  I have chilled out some since then and have come to realize that it's not that big of a deal.  But at the time this morning, I was so upset.  Especially since I came in the top of the class (second) just one minute behind on of the hotshot coaches and co-owner of the facility.  Everyone else was about 5 or so minutes behind me.

I left feeling so defeated and so upset...because I know I can do those pullups.

But here is the humbling part.  I have since then realized that the coach made me do jumping pull ups because she was aware of my shoulder ache and didn't want me to harm it.  ***However, she wasn't aware that I was willing to go all out cos I am about to be on a crossfit vacation since I am leaving town for a week.***

Then even later today I came across this article that I have heard about and thought WOW......now I get it!  Feel free to look at it, but please know that I am not in favor of this article.  I think alot of key information was skipped (but that's just my opinion after looking up the condition).  But if you do read it, you have to look at the following article, as well.  I stand closer to the second article, but the first article did make me see the "sense" my coach was making when having me do jumping pull ups today!  I am thankful for good coaches:-).  ***But I still want to be a WODKILLA!! :-)>

Article one: CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret
Article two: CrossFit Doesn't Have Dirty LIttle Secrets....

No comments: