Sunday, September 8, 2013

New Goals and Learning to Wean From Running

I have spent much of my last week reading and studying different athletes' diets and workouts via the interent.  I have learned sooo much in my research.  I even attended a CrossFit Eatology Class on Saturday, which had confirmed some of the conclusions I have come to this week....
1) I am running too much and my body is "used" to it.  **and it very well could be hindering more than helping me**
2) I have not been eating nearly enough....nor have I been eating enough of each macro nutrients (protein, carbs, and fat).  PROTEIN is my new best friend as of this past week.
3) I don't have a goal and I need one.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have recently been looking into building up my strength more...and adding in weight training to my workout schedule.  But the more I looked into this type of workout, the more I realize that I can NOT do it all (or should I say it isn't wise to do it all).  It is almost impossible to be a long distance runner, a respectable crossfitter and then do a weight training program, too! I MUST DECIDE!!!

Therefor, I found myself being a bit confused on what I should do.  However, ONE question that coaches and the websites keep asking.....that has really stuck out is, WHAT IS YOUR ONE GOAL?  This in my problem.  I don't have ONE goal.  I have way too many.  I want to be fit.  I want to be fast! I want to be strong! I want to be competitive! I want to look like an athlete! I want to...... this list can go on and on.  But that's the problem.

The more I started reading about how to schedule my weekly workouts, the more I started realizing that my long distance running isn't really giving me the results I want anymore.  In matter of fact, I have not gotten any faster in a long time (I might even be a bit slower due to my strength training).  I don't have any races in mind for the future (not training for a specific race).  I am not losing any more weight from running.  And it is taking alot of my time!  I have also learned, that as much running as I am doing, that it could actually be hindering my progress in strength or muscle building. Which could be the reason why I haven't really been having that much of a body structure change in quite some time.
**Long story short....it's time to do more with less.  Therefor, I am going to start weaning myself from running LONG distances (but not eliminating them all together).

I have narrowed my GOALS down and will start implementing a new workout routine this week.  My new goal is to get stronger and start "hopefully" changing my body again.  I would like more definition (not bulky) but at least look like I am an athlete.

Below is my new workout schedule which could easily be tweaked, but I think it will be good for me and hopefully give me a variety of workouts but yet, help me meet my goal.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: I will crossfit WOD and then weight train
Tues/Thurs: I will have an active recovery day (meaning I will run, walk, or do elliptical but all at a much easier level). No more than 40mins of aerobic activity.
Weekends: I get one midlength run in and one TRUE OFF DAY!


What brought on this change??? Two things actually.....
1) I am sick of working my butt off and not getting the results. So it's time to change it up!
2) I got some new toys------check out the picture below

My playroom now has a home gym section!!!!
 Now with Todd on board, we are having a blast getting back in shape together.  We have hit the jackpot on some great deals, which is why my playroom has a small home gym.  We got the elliptical machine for FREE (and it's super nice).  Todd uses this almost daily.  I don't yet, but probably will soon.  The weight bench set is a $1500 set that we lucked upon on Craigslist for $200!!! HECK YA! Weight Training happening right here!!!

And a little bonus....the hubby and my father in law built me a BOX for box jumps.  It's 20x24x36! I will get the 36in jump down soon!!!
This is on the 24in side that I use for most workouts now!
I am super excited about my new workout plan.  Nervous too!!! 






No comments: