Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sugar Detox Update (Getting the Kids INVOLVED)

I started my sugar detox last Friday.  And Friday and Saturday went great!  Sunday, however, was a harder day.  I think it was because everyone was home and snacking in front of me.  I don't even like those cheap sandwich cream cookies, but I wanted  18   one ALL DAY! HAHA!

All weekend I kept to the rule of only eating ONE fruit a day.  I actually had 1/2 a banana twice a day.  I usually have more fruit (and additional sugar) than this.  Especially on training days.  The weekend was so bad because I didn't actually train those days.  I did run Saturday evening....which may be why Sunday I was so hungry??  But I did not crossfit or lift those first three days of the detox. 

Monday morning (yesterday) was my first day to WOD (crossfit) since starting.  And when I woke yesterday morning, I decided that on workout days, I would allow myself two fruits.  ***Side Note: I have since learned that we (crossfit group) are allowed to have a couple, maybe even three of these choices; green apple, green tipped banana, an orange, or a sweet potato. 

So I have been have 1/2 cup to full cup of organic orange juice and a boiled egg each morning BEFORE working out.  I am eating my other fruit later in the day.

Here are some quick things I am learning and adjusting along the way:
1) First day I still lacked enough veggies to get enough carbs in.  I barely had 10% carbs.  And my calorie count was extremely low.  ***however, nothing to be too alarmed about as it was a rest day. And my sodium was way too high. (BUT I LOVE BACON! AND EGGS----the key is moderation)
2) Day Two- I tweaked the diet a little and I was MUCH BETTER on the sodium.  More veggies but still not enough.  And I didn't hit my protein count. Therefor my calorie count was still too low.
3) Day 3-I ate COMPLETE RIGHT.  But this was my most challenging day to fight sugar cravings so far. I finally hit a daily calorie intake goal I wanted.  I also got the protein count I wanted.  And I only had one fruit.  I also began using my juicer!!! MUCH BETTER!!
4) Day 4-WORKOUT ADJUSTMENT--- I added in one fruit PreWOD (Organic Orange Juice). The rest of the day was much like Day 3 and I felt GREAT! No sugar cravings and did well at workout!!!

Here is my IDEAL DAY on a WORKOUT DAY (at least so far).



****GETTING MY KIDS INVOLVED
In my last post you have learned that I have read the book GRAIN BRAIN.  I have learned a great bit of information and have heard some incredible stories about how our generation is suffering from our use of wheats/grains.  If you haven't read that post...please do.  Even better, get this book!  You will be convinced too.

This whole process started with me wanting to lose weight and fuel my body properly---but it has also led to my husband's decision to get on board (he is down about 35# and still making progress).  Then, as parents, we realized we have failed to educate ourselves and properly teach our kids about nutrition.  **We have indeed taught them about health---through our countless hours of sports.  But what use will the sports be if we aren't teaching them about the nutrition and fuel part?? Reality sets in that we are failing our kids!

But our kids are older now.  Bad habits have been formed and we don't want to be the Food Nazis.  So I have been telling the kids what I am learning....and WHY I am sugar detoxing and HOW that will help me with my training.  I am modeling it.  And now,  I have asked the kids to get involve.  But this is how I am doing it.  Our goal this week (mainly for me---but also for them) is I would get up to make them healthy breakfasts and healthy lunches but they have to eat them.  I won't take ALL grains out yet but will drastically lessen them and I will give them good sugar (fruit).  And I also won't add alot of new foods all at once.  I am on day two of this and it is going GREAT! The kids have enjoyed it so far.

Shame on me for not doing this before..... out of my own laziness and being cheap.  School breakfasts and lunches are cheap and require NO PREPARATION from me!  So for years I have done this. UGH!! So now, I am making up for it by modeling, getting them involved without forcing it....and with baby steps.

Day 1 Lunch- Organic Turkey Meat, 4 crackers with peanut butter, cheese stick, raisins, pistachios and and clementine.
Day 2 Lunch- 1/2 Organic Peanut Butter and Raw Honey sandwich, mixed berries, cheese stick, carrots and celery (half a serving of white chocolate pretzels---a treat).

***Personal Record Alert****
Totally off topic but I am just too excited not to share..... I have been doing smolov training the last month with front squats and yesterday we updated our 1 rep max.
Last month my front squat max was 160#---which was awesome cos front squating anything over your body weight is awesome.
However, 5 weeks after training, I improved that front squat to 200#.  Feeling like a beast!!! :-)

No comments: