Monday, November 11, 2013

I Drank the CrossFit KoolAid! And I LIKED IT!

This past weekend's competition was a BLAST!!! I can definitely say, without a doubt, I can't wait to do more of these.  Not only did my partner and I do well, but we had such a fun time.  It was a great atmosphere, well organized and fun event!!!

Quick recap of the competition....  First of, this was a partner competition and I was partnered with a former athlete that I used to coach when I was a High School coach (millions of years ago), Kim Patterson.  So, needless to say, it was fun to be partnered with someone I was familiar with and knew I could easily push:-).
Kim and I flexing our GUNS!! And me with my cheerleaders-Addie and Alexis
I was able to drag Addie and her BFF to the competition and promised to take them to the Gunter HS Volleyball Playoff Game afterwards.  They admitted that they actually enjoyed the event and weren't too bored:-).

The first WOD was the workout I was a bit more nervous about.  It was 9-7-5 reps of toes to bar to pulls while partner did 9-7-5 barbell thrusters.  Once you completed that, you worked your way to 9-7-5 T2B2PU while partner did snatches.  **We both had to complete the sets meaning she would do 9 T2B2PU while I did 9 thrusters, then we swapped and she would do 9thrusters while I did 9 T2B2PUs....and so on.  We had to do as many as we could in 7mins. I am happy to report that I was able to do the Toes to Bar to Pullups very well.  I did all 9 without coming off the bar (remember I couldn't do an unassisted pullup 3 weeks ago...and then last week, I was able to do no more than three T2B2PU without coming off- so this was a huge accomplishement).  We finished #6 with this WOD:-). YAE US!!!
WODKillars:-). 
The second WOD was super easy for me.  I can thank my coaches for making me use the 53# kettlebell these days cos in this WOD I was using a 35#kettlebell as if it were a toy:-).  This WOD was done as a leap frog WOD meaning my partner and I took turns completing a set.  We had to do 50-40-30-20-10 reps of kb swings, speed box jumps and double unders with the jumprope.  I started with 50kb swings (and I was flying and never took a break), she did the 50box jumps, I did the 50 double unders...then she moved on to 40 kb swing, I did 40 box jumps......and so on.  We did well with this WOD. She was a little slower at the kbell swings but we still managed to finish the WOD before time expired:-).
I am sore from the speedy kbell swings tho:-).
The third WOD was a surprise WOD....meaning we didn't even know what it was until we got there!! I was praying for running and I got some running.  :-).  This WOD was super fun as it did challenge us.  I was to run 600m while Kim rowed 600m.  When we both got done we had to do SYNCHRONIZED BURPEES together.  I sprinted the 600 and made it back way before everyone else. Kim struggled to get her rows done.  She might have even been the last person off the rower.  But that didn't stop either of us.  We became burpee queens that day.  We did 30-unbroken-beautifully synchronized burpees and ended up finish FIRST! LOL!  Those last 5 were all mental and I will never forget us yelling at each other....DON'T STOP!! KEEP GOING!! WE ARE ALMOST THERE!!! So fun!!!
BOOM! That's how ya burpee:-).
The last WOD was the one I am a bit sad about!!! I am a heavy lifter and this was a squat clean ladder....starting at 35lbs and moving up 10lbs each step.  The key was, you couldn't move onto the next weight unless your partner cleared the previous weight.  I started with 35#, Kim did 45#, I did 55#, Kim did 65#....and so on.  My max squat clean is 125lbs and I knew I could rip out a few on 115#.  Kim, however, is a tiny little thing.  So 105# is her max (which might be more than she weighs-ha).  Anyhow, she could not clear the 105 therefor I wasn't able to attempt 115.  I was a little bummed because I know I could have gone much higher in weight...especially with the adrenal pumping.  But by no means was I disappointed in my partner! She gave it her all ALL day!!! And I couldn't have asked for a better partner....especially for our first competition.
95lbs clean squats-- I think I did 8 in 50seconds (still need to work on my form)
Kim and I finished 9th out of 26competors which isn't bad at all.  And IF we would have done better on the squat cleans we would have cleared 5th place.  I am very proud of us!!! We actually had numbers close to Melinda and Kaylee on some of the WODS--which is something to be proud of :-).  I can't wait to see our progress in a year from now!!!

And yes, I am officially addicted to this sport!!! I can't wait to do more of these in the near future.
My CrossFit Family

No comments: