Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Goals Accomplished! BAMMM! (and some mushy stuff)

One of the most rewarding parts of the training and what kept me motivated was YOU!!!  I have never been able to explain to a nonrunner what it is that makes me love to run.  I can't explain that running is my time to get inside my head or to mediate on God's purpose for life and for myself.  Or that for me, running 'refreshes' me.  The reason I can't not explain this is because you have to be a runner to understand it.

In the last four months, I have seen this transformation happen in each of you who came to group training.  Each of you had your own background with running...that ranged from no running to occasional running to used to be a runner.  But Sunday you made that step and became a runner!!! 

Angel's Goal was to run a half marathon.  She accomplished her goal and ran 13.1 miles in 2:05.  Angel was our youngest one to train....and she made it look easy.  Yes, we can say, she is 20yrs or more younger than us....but I am so impressed with her drive and determination at a young age.  I know what I was doing in my early twenties.....and it wasn't accomplishing triathlons or marathons unless it involved college boys and beer!!!  Angel, you are an amazing woman who has so much determination.  I am so proud of you and all your hard work in the last year.  I have seen you balance school, work, family life and training!  And you do it with a smile on your face and never lacking confidence in yourself!  This is amazing! Keep up the good work.  God is working something amazing in your life!
Wendy and Angel (mother/daughter)=Half Marathoners

  Wendy's Goal was to run a 10K.  She did more than that.....She accomplished a half marathon (with knee and shin splint issues) with a time of 2:23! BAMM!
Wendy has been a bff of mine for years.  She is one of the funnest people to be around.  When she decided to join the group I was so excited because in the past 6months, we have not had the opportunity to hang out as we once did.  So for me, I was just happy to get to hang out with her again! But in the past four months, Wendy and I have rekindled our friendship. I am not saying our friendship was struggling....but more that the busyness of life had gotten in the way.   I am so very thankful to experience Wendy's first half marathon and my first full marathon together!
Now, as far as Wendy's training! Can I just say she gets an A+.  Talk about self discipline and push.  This girl was only wanting to run a 10K--which turned into a 12K---which one month before race day--turned into a half marathon.  And she had a bummed leg and knee!  But that's didn't stop her at all!  I am soo looking forward to running with her in her first full marathon someday! :-).  This gal can do it!

Stacy's Goal is to run a half marathon......"Shhh, don't tell Jerry, but I signed her up for one today!"  Stacy's Goal was to run a 12K and she ran a 12K with EASE!!!!
I have been keeping up with Stacy and her running in the last couple of years.  I have seen how much she has accomplished since she first started.  And not only is she a runner, but she is an athlete that enjoys working out....from Yoga, to Funky Fit, to running.   She seems to enjoy it all!  Now Stacy really wants to run a half marathon.  And she is READY for a half marathon, so I do believe she will continue to train so she can meet that goal in the very near future.  I can tell she is tasting it:-).  I do believe if we told her last weekend she needed to run 3 legs of the relay team, she would have!
Another thing about Stacy, is she is one funny gal!  I have so enjoyed getting to know her more these past few months!  I love her honesty and her witt!!  :-).
Krista and Stacy---the perfect running pair!


Becky's Goal was to run for fun.....and she did just that.
Becky is a runner and she doesn't even know it!  She trained with us for almost two months and her progress was rapid!  She was pacing herself to be a half marathoner, I am sure!  Becky had to take several weeks off due to medical reasons and then sickness, but came back the last month.  I could tell she was bit nervous and maybe disappointed because she felt like she was starting over.  But I assured her she was in good shape and she would bounce back quicker than she thought.  And she did bounce right back.  She ran a 5K leg with ease.  There is no doubt in my mind she could have ran a 10K or more last week and I don't doubt that she might not do just do that the next time around!
It has been such a pleasure to get to know Becky more through working out together.  She attends the same church as I do, but with all I have going on in the children's area, I don't usually get to spend much time with the ladies who do not have children in my department. I am very appreciative for Becky's friendship.  She has been my quiet encourager the last four months!! I really hope we still find time to run together in the months to come.
Mile 16/17---I stopped marathon traffic for this pic of Becky, Cynthia & I literally on the run! HA!

Shelley's Goal was to run a 10K and she accomplished that with NO PROBLEM!
Shelley was running weekly before the training group was formed.  I have seen her on several occasions out on those backroads.  What is impressive about Shelley is you will see her everywhere because she is a school teacher, a church small group leader, a music teacher, a mom of three, and super active in our community.  She does this all and still finds the time to get her runs in! I LOVE IT!
For me, I have been able to grow a friendship with Shelley in the last year.  I have learned so much about Shelley and am realizing that we have a lot in common that I didn't know before.   Between doing ministry together, going to Bible Study together, raising girls that same age together, and now running together..... I can't help but to think God has placed us in each other's lives for a reason! :-). 
Love these two!!! Shelley and Jynna---the 10K legs!


Morgan's Goal was to take a team from Get Fit Gunter to race at the OKC Marathon.  And she did just that!
O my goodness, I love this gal!  I love that we both love fitness and have super crazy ideas like running triathlons and marathons and helping others believe they can do it, too!!  I can't thank her enough for asking me to be a part of this, as it has really opened my eyes to a lot of things about myself and my passions that I didn't really know existed! Another words, this journey has been a life changing journey, for sure! Morgan, THANK YOU sooo much for that! 
And gals, I am not sure you know this, but this girl puts in sooo many hours at the gym, making schedules for Get Fit, planning, and prepping.  And she has two small children, while doing all this!  We all know how hard this has to be!  But for her, she is led by passion and it isn't work when you are passionate about it! 
Morgan, we can't thank you enough for all the time you put into GetFit and also into the OKCity Marathon Team.  The late night shopping (of a lot of groceries), the coordinating, and the making of personal baskets is not taken for granted.  We love and appreciate you!!! May God continue to bless you and your family and GetFit!!!!
They call us COACHES??  Morgan and myself


Jynna, Krista, Cynthia, and Alex made our TEAM "COMPLETE".
These girls may not have trained with our group but they were the perfect fit to this team.  Jynna is new to Gunter in the past few months I have been able to get to know her more through Bible Study time and crossfit workouts.  When I asked her, just a month ago, if she would like to be a part of the team, she didn't even hesitate!  :-). She rocked a 10K leg of the relay team!!! ((***Half next time???)
Krista, believe it or not, was an old high school rivalry friend of mine!  See, back when I was in high school....Gunter vs. Prosper was a really be deal.  I was from Gunter, she was from Prosper (enough said, right?).  HA!  We also attended SFA together and now Krista and her family live in Gunter.  Both her boys play on my son's sports teams.  So needless to say our rivalry days have ceased, as she looks way cuter wearing blue than green, anyhow! HAHA!  This weekend was a great weekend to catch up with Krista on our drives to and from OKCity.   Krista is a bit amazing!  Did you know she could run a half marathon without training?? Yap, she ran one in February.  And then she ran a 12K leg, without training too! CRAZY!  She is a psycho runner! LOL!
Cynthia is someone I am glad I am getting to know through all these training events.  She was our Triathlon Mom at our September race.....running us to and from places, loading and unloading bikes in the trailer, and best of all....telling us to keep going!  I was glad to see that she was going to be a part of the OKCity team again, too. Bless her heart, I am sure she has been entertained with our crazy bunch:-).  But hopefully we haven't scared her off and she will continue to do these events with us.  She ran a 5K leg of the relay team.... Notice in the above picture, she is smiling still?  TOO EASY CYNTHIA!! :-).
Alex, I met last summer training for the triathlon.  She is a college student that attends OBU. Not only did she do amazing job last summer in training and completed her first tri, but she also qualified for NATIONALS because she had a top time for her age group.  AWESOMENESS!!  Alex agreed last minute to come run a 5leg with our team. She was sweet enough to drive late at night to OKCity from OBU and then turn around and wake up at 4am to run the marathon with us. She must really love us!!! :-)  Thanks Alex for being a part of that team!!!
Well done!!!


"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."                 Isaiah 40:31

No comments: