Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Celebrating the Little Things

There are times that I sometimes question my “obsession” for nutrition and fitness.  It is such a chore and is a everyday, every minute commitment and focus.  Counting macros, watching sugar intake, making sure I eat enough each day (veggies and proteins), making sure my cheats are rare and pushing myself everyday physically.  YES, I absolutely LOVE it!  But, sometimes I wonder WHY I love it or if it’s right to love it? Is it worth it? Does it even matter??

But then I am reminded through all the little things...... that YES, it is worth it! Yes, I am personally making progress.  Yes, I am changing from the inside and outside.  Yes, my family (husband and children) are changing, too.  And yes, there are a few people along the way that get motivated or inspired through our story.

If you are on a journey similar to mine....where you are learning to fuel body properly or adding exercise to your weekly agenda, etc. I want to encourage you to take pictures, log and/or journal your daily (or at least weekly) challenges and accomplishments.  It will make a huge difference and will give you the little “extra” you need to continue the journey when you start to question yourself or doubt your dedication to the process.

I mentioned earlier that I have had some recent self doubt, so at this time I made myself a little journal to write down all the positive reminders to keep me going.

Here are a few things I wrote down:

1. My size medium belt is too big.  Four months ago, I was about four notches away from the end of the belt.  I am now on the last notch! :-).
2. I went to the doctor for annual check up.  I have slowly, in the last year, reset my hormones to start working as they should without hormone therapy or medication.  I do not have to have hormone pellet injections and am being weaned off my thyroid medication (6yrs of taking it). 
3. At the doctors office....for the first time (maybe ever in my adult life) I weighed under 150lbs on the BIG SCALE!!!!
4. Warmer weather means wearing shorts.  My running shorts are all too big and literally falling off me.  My casual shorts are too big, as well.  I even had a pair of 6’s (never been worn with tags still on) that fit perfectly!!!
5. I have had some new Personal Records for lifting the last couple of weeks. 
      -Deadlift PR of 305lbs
      -Front Squat PR of 200lbs
      -Push Press PR of 140lbs
      -3 REP Max of 225lbs on my Back Squat
6. My kids have told me how much better they feel with their new breakfast and lunches.  They claim to not be starving when they get home and feel like they have been doing better at their “after school practices”.  Even my daughter is telling me she is making huge improvements in her running (this is a girl that has never liked running or working out).
7. There is usually one day a week I do not make lunches for the kids....usually Thursdays since I am super tired after a busy Wednesday with church prep and children’s ministry.  The kids have started making their own lunches and making them with CLEAN foods!!!
8. Todd is on day 16 of the sugar detox with only one cheat (eating a KIND BAR).  He is down 10+ pounds.
9. I just simply feel GREAT!!!! Thinking clearer, better daytime energy, and better night time rest.
10.  I have had a handful of friends giving the detox a try or making some diet/exercise changes to their life.  NOTHING better than getting text or emails from friends of their changes and progress!!! :-). SUCH A MOTIVATION TO ME TOO!!

My point is.....don’t forget how far you have come.  These little things add up in the long run.  In the last year I have lost 25+pounds, several inches, have learned to eat properly for my personal needs as an adult athlete, have made great strides in improving my family’s health.....this list goes on.  I am reminded through the little things!!!

Reminder Photo: This shirt was too tight around boobs and stomach when I bought in Destin in August!!!


No comments: